On March 17, 2018, at the Annual National E-Board Assembly in Nashville, TN, IPhO National Fellows Council (NFC) Co-Chief Zachary McCormack, PharmD, Global Commercial Oncology Fellow, Sanofi Genzyme, announced the winners of the 2nd Annual Value of Industry Pharmacists (VIP) Case Competition. California Northstate University College of Pharmacy IPhO Student Chapter was awarded 1st place for their outstanding creativity and demonstrated knowledge of the drug development process.
This competition—the first of its kind in the industry—tests students' pharmaceutical commercial development knowledge and allows them to apply what they know through an industry-based case scenario. This year, 29 student chapters participated in the competition.
The annual IPhO VIP Case Competition enables students to delve into multiple disciplines within the pharmaceutical industry as they develop their hypothetical drug, including, but not limited to: Clinical Development, Medical Affairs, Regulatory Affairs, and Commercial Functions. Each phase of the drug's development lifecycle presents a unique challenge that encourages students to think strategically and apply both their clinical and pharmaceutical industry knowledge.
California Northstate University College of Pharmacy received a cash prize of $1,000.00 for their 1st place submission. Their winning video provides a detailed overview of their proposed new drug, Shakaragon® (molibutide), for the management of type 2 diabetes.
University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) College of Pharmacy took home the 2nd place prize, a cash award of $500.00, and the University of Connecticut (UCONN) School of Pharmacy placed 3rd and received $250.00. Congratulations to all three of our winners and all 29 chapters who participated in this very competitive case competition.
Many thanks to the following NFC members and our VIP Case Competition Advisor for their commitment and contributions to making the VIP Case Competition such a tremendous success this year:
- Sean Harrison | NFC Student Development Committee Chair | Biologics Fellow, Regeneron
- Kassim Rahawi | Committee Co-Chair | Pharmacist Development Program Fellow | AbbVie
- Venkatesh Satram | Committee Co-Chair | Global Project Leadership Fellow | Celgene
- Sara Angione | Committee Member | Global Regulatory Affairs Fellow | GlaxoSmithKline
- Brandon Andereck | Committee Member | Multiple Sclerosis MSL Fellow, Sanofi Genzyme
- Parth Savalia | Committee Member | Global Commercial Rare Disease Fellow, Sanofi Genzyme
- Matthew Schmidt | NFC VIP Case Competition Advisor | Hematology Oncology Regulatory Affairs | Genentech
IPhO would like to recognize Sanofi Genzyme for their generous support of this competition.