We are the only professional pharmacy organization dedicated exclusively to advancing the careers of industry-based pharmacists. Join as a member now to enjoy the full benefits of membership in IPhO, founded and brought to you by Industry Pharmacists, for Industry Pharmacists.
Featured Fellow: Nisha Parikh, PharmD
Fellowship Sponsor Company: Johnson & Johnson Consumer (USciences)
Function/Discipline: Regulatory Affairs and Medical Information
Fellowship Years: 2016-2017
Alma Mater: University of the Sciences, Class of 2016
I recently graduated from a six-year Doctor of Pharmacy program at the University of the Sciences with a minor in Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Business. Classically, I worked at a community pharmacy throughout school and was not initially aware of the career options available to me outside of the traditional retail realm. Progressing through my years as a student, I gradually began exploring these options by working at both the University of Pennsylvania, in a pharmacy laboratory to conduct research, and also Acro Pharmaceutical Services, a specialty pharmacy. I was also actively involved with several organizations on campus, including: American Pharmacists Association (APhA), Drug Information Association (DIA), and Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA).
Featured Fellow: Daniel Boulos, BS, PharmD, RPh, MBA (Candidate 2017)
Fellowship Sponsor Company: Bristol-Myers Squibb (Rutgers)
Function/Discipline: Oncology Medical Science Liaison, Medical Information, Clinical Trial Operations
Fellowship Years: 2015-2017
Alma Mater: University of the Sciences, Class of 2015
Having grown up in a low-middle income family out of Jersey City, NJ, I didnât know much about what existed in the professional world. This simple upbringing presented me with a few challenges when I started working with professionals during my P4 year. Thinking that was tough, imagine then how I felt at the ASHP midyear meeting with hundreds of suited candidates just like myself, all prepared with their binders and their interview game faces. However, what I quickly realized was that I was just as qualified as any other candidate. Moreover, if I was going to stand out, I would have to be someone that nobody else could be. Myself. Only then did I find the program that fit my personality and one whose objectives were in line with my own.
Company and Department: Astellas, Medical Affairs, Americas
Current Role: Associate Director, Medical Communications
Alma Mater: Midwestern University, Chicago College of Pharmacy, Class of 2005
During pharmacy school, I developed a strong interest in clinical pharmacy and academia. In addition to completing the standard coursework, I served as the liaison between our class and the faculty to facilitate communication of course concerns and questions. I also collaborated with a faculty and a pharmacy resident specializing in psychiatry on a research project where I assisted with screening the study patients against the inclusion criteria. I began to evaluate career pathways that would help me prepare for academic pharmacy.
Upon graduation, I participated in a PGY1 residency at the North Chicago VA Medical Center in North Chicago. After completing the residency, I accepted a faculty position at Midwestern University Chicago College of Pharmacy and practiced as a clinical pharmacist in the Internal Medicine unit at the North Chicago VA Medical Center. I gained valuable direct patient care experience, precepted pharmacy students and residents, and taught in the pharmacotherapy course at the University. To further advance my professional development, I also obtained a board certification for pharmacotherapy (BPS).
- October 03, 2016 07:45 amRT @fwpharma: AstraZeneca board member steps down to head Chan Zuckerberg Initiative\'s science division https://t.co/SJvscIb7f5 $AZN $FB
- September 15, 2016 08:28 amRT @fwpharma: FDA advisory panels back removal of warning from anti-smoking therapy Chantix https://t.co/EZ75fHwN5y $PFE
- September 15, 2016 08:28 amRT @fwpharma: Study: GlaxoSmithKline\'s shingles vaccine Shingrix maintains efficacy over four years https://t.co/4JRuXM548j $GSK
- September 15, 2016 08:28 amRT @fwpharma: Roche says Ocrevus bests Merck KGaA\'s Rebif in relapsing multiple sclerosis study https://t.co/VuCCnPDXPE #ECTRIMS2016
- September 13, 2016 07:59 amRT @fwpharma: Horizon Pharma expands rare disease drug portfolio with $800-million deal to buy Raptor Pharmaceutical https://t.co/9xiMmD5LJ
- September 06, 2016 08:20 amRT @fwpharma: AstraZeneca reports positive Phase III data for asthma therapy benralizumab https://t.co/IFa1WTsF8j $AZN #ERS2016
- September 06, 2016 08:20 amRT @fwpharma: Researchers identify several potential therapies among existing drugs to treat Zika virus infection https://t.co/ObdcuCAOel
- September 06, 2016 08:19 amRT @FiercePharma: Look out, Amgen: Novartis wins second FDA biosim approval, this time for Enbrel copy https://t.co/CNS3P0lHDS $NVS $AMGN #
- September 06, 2016 08:19 amRT @fwpharma: Takeda gains up to $312 million in funding from US government to develop #Zika virus vaccine https://t.co/sn7MJIrZVR #pharma
- August 24, 2016 09:29 amRT @fwpharma: FDA awards priority review to Clovis\' investigational ovarian cancer drug rucaparib, shares rise https://t.co/t3hMbJi4EQ #pha
- August 24, 2016 09:29 amRT @fwpharma: Eli Lilly, AstraZeneca\'s investigational Alzheimer\'s disease therapy AZD3293 granted FDA fast track status https://t.co/bhr4H
- August 10, 2016 07:28 amRT @fwpharma: Biogen names planned haemophilia spinoff Bioverativ https://t.co/MsMwcOri8D $BIIB #pharma
- August 10, 2016 07:28 amRT @FiercePharma: Allergan expands Restasis sales force to fight off Shire\'s new dry eye threat https://t.co/0QYD7AyHfm $AGN $SHPG #pharma
- August 09, 2016 08:23 amRT @fwpharma: Bristol-Myers Squibb\'s shares plunge as late-stage study of Opdivo in lung cancer misses main goal https://t.co/nzek7PiVoT $B
- August 09, 2016 08:22 amRT @FiercePharma: Pfizer suspends work at Hospira India plant as FDA turns up ongoing problems https://t.co/X1aOuettAg $PFE #pharma by @Eri
- August 09, 2016 08:22 amRT @fwpharma: Late-stage study of AstraZeneca\'s selumetinib in lung cancer misses main goal https://t.co/AippjZJMoR $AZN #pharma
- August 09, 2016 08:22 amRT @fwpharma: Biogen, Eisai to move BACE inhibitor E2609 into late-stage development for #Alzheimersdisease https://t.co/UomxRFQ4g2 $BIIB
- August 09, 2016 08:22 amRT @fwpharma: Merck KGaA lifts annual guidance on second-quarter performance of healthcare unit https://t.co/1WI9VuBukk #pharma
- August 03, 2016 07:45 amRT @fwpharma: Shire swings to Q2 loss on deal charges, sales boosted by Baxalta https://t.co/uVAWB6DItk
- August 03, 2016 07:44 amRT @fwpharma: CVS Health to remove 35 medicines from 2017 formulary list, including \'hyperinflationary drugs\' https://t.co/qGl8HajEr4 #phar